Director, Principal Geologist/Geostatistician
Mike has more than 25 years of experience in the mining industry and has worked in the fields of exploration, project evaluation, mine geology and resource estimation. Mike has been undertaking mineral resource estimates for a wide range of commodities and deposit styles for more than 20 years.
Mike is highly skilled at mineral resource modelling for a range of precious, base metal and industrial mineral deposit types, including, but not limited to Archaean orogenic style gold, Carlin type gold, epithermal gold/silver, sediment-hosted gold-copper, stratiform copper-cobalt, pegmatite hosted lithium, diamond and polymetallic deposits of various types. He is adept in the implementation of advanced geostatistical methods and is an expert user of Isatis. Mike has also been involved in and undertaken a number of review and due diligence studies over the course of his career with respect to mineral resource estimates.
Mike believes that a range of factors contribute to the robustness of a resource model, beginning with data quality and representivity. Following this, a sound geological model linked to the geological controls needs to be developed. Finally, the choice and implementation of an appropriate estimation method, as well as a fastidious approach to model validation and risk analysis, round off the process. Mike considers such a multi-faceted approach to be essential to maximising the accuracy and precision of resource estimates.
- Geostatistics – linear, non-linear and conditional simulation
- Precious metal (gold/silver and PGE’s) resource modelling and estimation in both 2D narrow lode and 3D settings
- Diamond resource estimation
- Base metal resource modelling (copper, cobalt, nickel, polymetallic)
- Pegmatite-hosted lithium
- Due diligence studies
Qualifications and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (Geology), 1993
- Master of Science (Economic Geology), 2004
- Diploma in Advanced Geostatistics (CFSG) from Ecoles des Mines, Paris, 2007
- Member in good standing of the Australian Institute of Geoscientists (MAIG #5799)